DT & David Crowder's Fantastical Church Music Conference


I thought I'd go ahead and mention this now since the registration fee is at a good deal. David Crowder has kindly invited me to be a part of his "Fantastical Church Music Conference." He asked if I would address the question of the church's music from a specifically theological perspective. I am sincerely honored to be given this opportunity.

I've cared about the church's worship since I was a kid in high school. My senior year I worshiped at a non-denom on Sunday mornings, a Baptist church Sunday evening and an Assembly of God on Wednesday night, and I was always fascinated by how Christians "played out" their ideas of worship. In college I attended, at one time or another, a Vineyard church (Evanston, Il.), a Bible Church (in Austin), a Lutheran church (St. Martin's in Wuerzburg, Germany), and an Episcopal (St. Matt's) and charismatic (Hope Chapel) church.

I also--in a galaxy far, far away--used to lead worship when campus groups got together at the University of Texas. At the moment my doctoral work at Duke involves a primary and secondary concentration in theology and liturgy.

Oh--and in high school I was a total Keith Green fan. And I loved John Michael Talbot's bushy, monkish beard and monkish music.

All this to say, I'm excited to be a part of the conversation that will take place in Waco, TX, in the fall of this year. I'm especially thankful I get the entire summer to think about what I'll say. I'll need it.

Here is the rest of the information about speakers and artist participants. It's a great lineup.

Dates: September 30 - October 1-2, 2010.

Speakers: Rob Bell, Louie Giglio, Bob Kauflin, the delightfully mischievous David Dark, and myself.

Musicians: Derek Webb, Matt Redman, Hillsong London, Jars of Clay, The Welcome Wagon, Israel Houghton, Matt Maher, Leeland, Gungor, and other folk I don't yet know.

Registration fee: up till May 1 it is $179 for general, $159 for students. See here for rest of prices.

Crowder's FAQs page: see here for some funny answers.

Comments

Jeff Fish said…
Well, this is some FANTASTIC NEWS that David Taylor is going to be with us here in Waco! I must start saving up for the conference. And I think at King of Glory Anglican Church we'd love to have you as a guest speaker.
Jeff
Jeff, I am so happy to have an excuse to come to Waco. It's been too long, my friend. And hoorah for King of Glory Anglican Church--which is a totally rocking name.

You're the man.
Joshua Banner said…
I wrote something this last year mentioning John Michael Talbot and he made a comment on my blog! I looked around and he's very active on the net, so I think it really was him. His two live worship discs are some of my all time favorites.
Josh, funny you should say that. I just mentioned to Steven Purcell that we should get JMT to be our guest speaker at the next ministers-to-artists retreat. What a blast. And heck, his beard is enough for me.
Ryan Romeo said…
Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!
Ryan, thanks for saying hello and thanks for your work on the design of the David Crowder conference. I quite like it.
Unknown said…
Hi! Thanks for the great information you have provided! You have touched on crucuial points!
artistic
Thanks, Elon. Appreciate that.

Popular Posts